The Yam

Because Yam's are funny.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

We are of them

There is a distinct feeling of alienation when one is a part of a culture that believes differently than the subject. It is somewhat rare for someone who has grown up in that culture to change their approach after accepting the status quo norms for so long. However, I'm discovering that when such change does occur, a veil that formerly held the subject self-assured and comfortable is lifted. And all of a sudden, he is an alien in a different land.

The 2008 Alberta election triggered this for me. It was largely considered to be a tight race. The reality of the votes was significantly different. This is the first election in which I have voted for a candidate that did not end up winning. Yes, I knew with a large degree of certainty who would win, but it is somewhat a slap in the face that my vote means nothing.

True, I've known for awhile. All the 'losers' in a paricular riding had very little affect on the elected government. They are relegated to a statistic.

But damn, this sucks.

I'm aware that there are far better systems that we could be using to properly represent the majorities of our province. And while they perhaps do not represent regional differences as strong, at least everyone's vote counts... for something.

Mine didn't.

This no doubt makes me a supporter of proportional representation, a system in which the popular vote determines the number of seats that any particular party receives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home